So. Much. Food.
So. Much. Delicious. Food.
If you’ve been with us for awhile, you have realized we don’t discriminate when it comes to food. We will eat in the most questionable back alley or the fanciest upscale restaurant, they common theme is finding mind-blowing, unforgettable melt-in-your-mouth food.
Michael, who now lives in San Francisco but is from our hometown of Carmel, Indiana (small world!) invited us to join him at the newly opened MKT Restaurant and Bar at the Four Seasons in San Francisco.
“What am I going to wear?!?!” – Caroline
Yes, this was the first question that ran through my head. In hindsight it should have been what type of scrumptious food am I going to eat?… but I had packed for a weekend of relaxation, exercise and exploration – not wining and dining at the luxurious four seasons.
I did what any normal millennial would do – I Googled it… and this is what I found
- “Retro urban chic atmosphere”
- “Relax with friends in a lively social vibe”
- “A vibrant, casual dining destination in the SoMa district”
- “At MKT Bar, the specialty is communal dining, featuring small plates designed to share”
After reading this I felt confident I wouldn’t get laughed out of the dining room with my semi-casual clothes I brought for the week. Not that I would let fashion get in the way of a girl and a good meal – but I would be lying if I didn’t say I hesitated for a hot second showing up next to Josh’s lumberjack-chic.
I had quickly forgotten about what I was wearing as we walked into MKT and our noses took over. The menu looked like an old newspaper and was filled with ingredients and flavors paired together i would have never imagined. Mussels and Kimchi, Scrambled Egg and Uni, this was just the beginning of our 3 hour dinner that managed to knock our socks off.
We started out with our drink order. While I typically go for the wine menu, Michael convinced me the bartender has a reputation for designing delicious and unique cocktails, how could we turn that down?
Josh’s order: Sazerac
Caroline’s order: Cosmopolitan (I know – super girly) – the ice cube was made out of cranberry juice so at first my drink was decently strong, and as the ice melted the cranberry juice infused into the drink to dilute it, Great touch!
I think I blacked out after my first drink because the next thing I remember was our table looked like this:
In an effort to taste everything, we had somehow ordered nearly one of everything. It all sounded so good we couldn’t choose, and in our defense we had two hungry men at the table.
There is no photo of dessert because the three of us managed to finish it so quickly it was gone before I could turn my camera on.
Hungry Now? Sorry!
5 Reasons We Would Return to MKT Restaurant + Bar
1. Duck Fat Burger – I don’t think this needs much explanation. 5 Dot Ranch Beef Bandage Wrapped Cheddar, Hand Cut Fries. Josh’s favorite item on the menu.
2. Heirloom Tomatoes – with Burrata Cheese, Basil, Olive Oil Crouton. Doesn’t sound like much, but the tomatoes in season paired with the burrata cheese was a flavor that I wouldn’t miss!
3. Focus on local ingredients – although it seems to be the trend now, we think it’s important for restaurants.
4. Communal Eating – I love small plates. You get to taste more and interact with everyone you are eating with. It creates a more social atmosphere and enjoyable dinner experience.
5. The Bartender – Ever since we met Dave Power at The Feral Pig in Kauai I have been fascinated by mixologists and incredibly skilled bartenders. Oliver Lee at MKT Restaurant is able to take a simple drink, add a unique component and make the drink unforgettable – bravo!
We would definitely suggest MKT to anyone who is in the San Francisco area. Even if you are just going in for drinks, the bar has a great vibe!
Thank you Cinch PR for hosting us at MKT Restaurant and Bar – our stomachs left filled and happy!