Are you sitting in a cubicle reading this blog?
We’ve been there.
Traveling 9 to 5 is for everyone looking for a break from the 9 – 5 drag. We remember the days of endlessly browsing the Internet, living off of other people’s adventures and drooling over daily travel photos online.
You don’t have to hate your job to take a career break or gap year, you only need to be driven to revive your creativity and jumpstart your energy to be a better employee, husband, wife or friend. We encourage you to stop slamming the door on opportunities and begin writing an interesting story for your life.
What is a Career Break?
Take 1 month or 1 year to focus on you! A career break allows you to revisit your priorities, learn new things and focus on what you want to get out of your life. Reignite your creativity by adding adventure and novelty back into your day-to-day.
You Will Never Regret Taking A Year to Travel
Josh worked for a large consulting firm where he was on the road 80% of the time. He worked 90 hour weeks and let his guitar collect dust in the corner of our apartment, but had great benefits with a paycheck he liked. His passions were pushed aside as he focused on working and climbing the ladder.
I looked at him one day in the car and said “lets quit and travel the world”.
In the end, he couldn’t shake the fact that there is nothing he could ever regret by taking a year to travel. For one year we got the best education we could imagine, lessons in negotiating, logistic planning, decision making, international communications, dealing with constantly changing situations…(I could go on!).
Random Facts About Us
- Caroline was born in Georgia, grew up in Hawaii and now resides in the Midwest
- We are highschool sweethearts
- Josh does the designing and programming, while Caroline manages the social media stuff
- Josh loves mountains and Caroline could sit on a beach every day
- We both are obsessed with Thai food, the spicier the better
- Josh’s dream? To go to Space Camp. Hopefully they still allow adults…
We Love to Eat
- Thai Food: The Most Mind-blowing Foods you Will Ever Put in Your Mouth
- How to Eat an Argentine Steak for 1/2 Price
- Hawaiian Food You Can’t Leave Without Tasting
- Food Scavenger Hunt in Vietnam
- How to Order Food in a Foreign Language
We Exercise as Much as Possible
- Hotel Gym Workout
- Running in Kilometers
- Quick Sweaty Workout
- Travel Workout: The Final Countdown
- The Best Form of Transportation
- Exercise Philosophy While Traveling
We Want to Help you Travel Better, Smarter, and More Often
- How to Travel the World for $346
- The Single Best Insurance for Long Term Travelers
- The Best Credit Cards for Travel
- How to Tell Your Employers About Your Career Break
- Our RTW Packing List
- Travel with Only a Carry On
- Travel Budget Basics
- How To Pick Destinations for Your RTW Trip
- How To Downsize Your Life to Fit in a Carry On Bag
And We Love to Share Our Crazy Stories From the Road
- Why I Fainted on a Bus in Ecuador
- The First Night on Our Self Drive Safari
- The Time I Was a Semi-Vegetarian For The Day
- The Sounds of Rio de Janiero
- The Dumbest Tour I Have Ever Been On
- Welcome to Buenos Aires, Watch Your Pockets
- The People You Meet on Safari
- The Time a Thai Lady Bent Me Into A Pretzel
Where you can find us on the Web
Connect with us online!
- Y Travel Blog: How to Travel Like a Child
- The Planet D: Abandoning The Status Quo
- 2 Backpackers:
- African Safari – Spotting the Big 5
- Brazil Travel – Conquering Copacabana Beach
- Brazil Travel – How to Spend a Weekend in Rio de Janiero
- Brazil Travel – Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janiero
- Ecuador Travel – Biking Ruta de las Cascadas
- Ecuador Travel – How to Visit the Galapagos Islands Independently
- Chile Travel – A Day Hike in the Andes Mountains
- Peru Travel – What to Expect on the Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu
- Vagabonding: Case Study: The Eatons
- 1,000 Fights: 7 Questions with Traveling 9 to 5
- A Dangerous Business: Thursday Traveler: Traveling 9 to 5
- A Couple Travelers: Interview series: Traveling 9 to 5
- Backpacks and Bunkbeds: A Travel Blogger Interview with Caroline (@Traveling 9 to 5)
- Hotels Cheap org: Interview with Traveling 9 to 5